Foggy mornings, cozy blankets, piping hot tea…the winter season surely has its charm. And while we love those snug winter days, we certainly do not look forward to all the harsh weather's skin woes. Problems like dull, dry, cracked skin with redness and itching are extremely common during this time of the year. And that's why you need to switch up your skincare routine to suit the season.
Here’s why you need to add face oils to your winter skincare routine.
8 Benefits Of Using Natural Face Oils During Winter
When it comes to winter skincare, if there is one product that would be the holy grail, it is face oil. Based on their make, face oils come nourished with the goodness of natural ingredients, skincare actives, anti-ageing and brightening properties, and even rest and relaxation benefits. And even though they seem to be all the rage now, the use of facial oils as part of skincare and beauty rituals can be traced all over the globe in the history of ancient civilisations.
Here are just some of the many benefits of using face oils for winter skincare.
- Rich in antioxidants, facial oil can help protect your skin from pollution, UV radiation and other damaging elements that may lead to signs of early ageing.
- Face oils can help prevent oxidative damage and slow down or prevent the appearance of wrinkles. They help stimulate the production of collagen and help minimise wrinkles.
- Including facial oils in your skincare routine can help even out your complexion and brighten your skin.
- Face oils can help treat dark patches and discolouration caused by excessive dryness.
- Facial oils keep your skin hydrated without clogging the pores. Moreover, they do not leave behind a greasy residue.
- Natural oils are needed by the skin to stay supple and facial oils can help with rebalancing the oil production (sebum) of the skin.
- Certain facial oils are packed with anti-inflammatory benefits and can be used for reducing inflammation and redness.
- Regular use of facial oils can aid in reducing acne breakouts. They prevent excess oil production, reduce inflammation and combat acne-causing bacteria.
8 Benefits Of Using Essential Oils To Treat Skin Concerns
Essential oils are not the same as face oils. While they're packed with concentrated ingredients that can treat an array of skin conditions like eczema, inflammation, psoriasis, and itchiness, and even alleviate certain bacterial skin conditions, they're usually combined with a carrier oil like olive oils, almond oil, grapeseed oil, jojoba oil, etc. On their own, they can be too harsh and may irritate the skin. However, there are many benefits of using face oils packed with the right essential oils for skincare. Together, they can nourish and hydrate dry winter skincare, treat underlying skin conditions, and even offer rest and relaxation benefits that are good for your mental health.
Here are some benefits of using essential oils for skincare:
- They can help in reducing the appearance of stretch marks and scars, giving you clear skin.
- They can be effective in skin tightening and reducing signs of ageing like fine lines and wrinkles.
- Essential oils that contain vitamin C (like lemon oil or orange oil) can help control early signs of ageing.
- They can help combat sun damage and repair the skin.
- Essential oils can help reduce skin problems like itchiness, redness and irritation.
- A few essential oils (like tea tree oil) are also known to be effective against acne.
- Essential oils help soothe, rejuvenate and nourish the skin.
- Essential oils like lemon oil and bergamot oil can help lighten the complexion, improve skin texture and give you naturally glowing skin.
Other than being used for skin care benefits, essential oils can be used to ease headaches, boost mood, reduce stress and calm nerves. All these reasons make the Elixir Combo Giftset - Pure Certified Organic Essential Oils a great gifting option this festive season. The magic of the nourishing properties of the oils of lavender, jasmine, carrot seed, and frankincense is just what your skin deserves to protect it from the cold clime and not clog the pores at the same time - a double treat for your skin, and your mental wellbeing!
Do Oils With Clog Your Pores & Are They Suitable For Oily Skin?
One of the popular and misinformed opinions associated with using facial oil for skin care is that they end up clogging the pores on your skin, leading to various skin care problems like acne breakouts and flare-ups. Here’s the truth.
Not all facial oils lead to clogged skin pores. In fact, if your face oil is a non-comedogenic facial oil, you don't have to worry about any of these problems. The key is to avoid heavy oils like evening primrose or coconut oil, especially if you have acne-prone skin. Using heavy facial oils can trigger problems like pimples, blackheads, whiteheads, etc.
Non-comedogenic facial oils are lighter and get absorbed by the skin easily, offering nutrition to the deeper layers of your skin. They're suitable for all skin types, even if you have oily skin. One example of non-comedogenic carrier oil is jojoba oil. Sweet almond oil, olive oil, rosehip oil, neem oil, grapeseed oil and sunflower seed oil are some other types of carrier oils that you can bank on for maintaining healthy and glowing skin during the cold months.
How To Make Face Oils A Part Of Your Skincare Routine
A thumb rule for skincare is that you should use your prevention and protection products in the morning. This would include vitamin C, sunblock, hyaluronic acid, etc. At night, you should apply reparative and restorative products. This includes BHAs, anti-ageing products, and yes, face oils.
Take for example a face oil like The Blue Pond’s Night Ritual Facial Oil Serum - TREPHO. It can help brighten your complexion, reduce pigmentation and moisturise the skin without causing the pores to clog. Apply this during bedtime and let it work its magic. While neroli oil contains regenerative and moisturising properties, rose oil can help hydrate the skin, reduce acne, and control the apparent signs of premature ageing like wrinkles and fine lines. The grape seed oil in the mix boosts collagen production and aids in treating hyperpigmentation. The presence of jojoba oil can help your skin fight damage caused by toxins and pollutants. This facial oil also comprises chamomile oil that can help reduce blemishes and has other healing properties.
Use this product daily for healthy, moisturised, and clear skin.
Another great nighttime investment is the Anti-Ageing Facial Oil Serum - CLEO. This serum consists of highly effective ingredients like macadamia oil, pomegranate oil and frankincense oil. Macadamia oil is an effective dryness cure and is known for its moisturising and skin-softening properties. Pomegranate oil contains natural antimicrobials and can prevent acne. That’s not all! The serum also bottles frankincense oil that exhibits excellent anti-ageing and skin-firming properties, and can also help reduce sunspots and age spots.
What’s more, it helps in boosting skin elasticity and evens out skin tone. The serum also contains jojoba and lavender oils. While the former is known to protect the skin from free radical damage, the latter serves as a great natural remedy for soothing the skin and fighting wrinkles and fine lines Include Anti-ageing Facial Oil Serum - CLEO in your night skincare ritual for an even-toned and younger-looking skin.
You can alternate between CLEO and TREPHO.